Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Living in the... future?

As you all know, simply from reading this blog, I like to live in the past. I'll do most anything to reject the current time we live in and conditions we live under. Was the past a romantic time? No. It has been idealized so, but it was harder to live in the past than it is to live in the current society, I'm sure. The number one thing I love about the 1940s and 50s is the sense of community that you can feel when listening to the music and radio broadcasts, and see when you look at pictures and posters. These were people who would stand up for their neighbor because they had the means. I commonly wonder how different it would be had I been living in this same exact dorm when it was first built. Would I know the people across the hall better? I believe I would. In a time where individualism is at a high point, we've completely disregarded the very important factor of community in our everyday lives.
I find myself asking these questions because of a class I've been in for a little over a week no. No, I'm not taking psychology or sociology. The class is actually Fashion Forecasting. In the class, we are asked to live in the future by forecasting trends for the upcoming seasons. I have a hard time doing this because of my desire to not be an active player in the current times. Economic instability, rules and regulations on just about everything, and the forgotten phrase of "Love thy neighbor" have made it a harsh world to live in. We think we're so modern, so evolved, that we reign supreme over all. But I ask you this: What would happen if our phones, iphones, kindles, ipods, ipads, laptops, flat screens, blu-rays, wiis, ps3s, super fast wireless internet, and all other devices and systems that offer the instant gratifications our 24/7 culture desires, disappeared? We have become so used to the "one click" way of receiving everything. Our culture is insatiable when it comes to getting the newest, fastest, and shiniest gizmo.
Now, I have another class, and it might seem a little unconventional for me to be getting such an opposite impression from such a class, but just trust me here. I'm in a beginner's swing dancing class. I bring this up because no matter how awkward it can be while trying to dance with someone I've never met before, there is some part of me that loves how no one has their phones out. I love that everyone is focused on their partner (or the instructor) and trying to make the most of that highly unused organ filling their cranium. Even when I've been dancing with the worst partner for the last few minutes, I can put it aside, laugh, and say, "We almost got it! Thank you for the dance." when partners change. To get a sincere smile and, "Thank you" back is a much better feeling than a confirmation e-mail thanking me for my interest/order/feedback, etc.
So in this day and age, when we talk to automated voices more than real ones and search a computer database online rather than asking a librarian, is there any hope for my utmost wish to return to real interpersonal communication? Even I would have to get used to it and learn to appreciate it, but it would add such a value to interactions that is no longer seen in the technologically stuffed world.

2 comments:

  1. What would you say to the people who try to use technology to improve their lives, and allow them to interact with people more. I know that people in my dorm use the TV as a place to come and interact and to yell at whatever is going on. Not everything that modern technology has for us is good, alot of it is in fact bad but some of it is very useful and helps us get through life, and live as best we can.

    ReplyDelete