Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Wintery Break

I can't describe in the detail I would like to just how wonderful little winter hiatus I have taken from blogging has been. Since being up at school this year, I haven't gotten to spend much time with my family. My Halloween weekend flew by and Thanksgiving weekend also seemed to end before it began. Winter break, however, has been just magical.
As I type this, it's the first morning of 2011, and the property is a winter wonderland complete with chirping birds, scampering squirrels, and even some blue sky. The fire is crackling the woodstove, and I have only completed taking down 50% of the Christmas decorations I lovingly finished putting up only two weeks ago.
Christmas morning was a whirl of paper and ribbons and mountains of boxes which ended up daunting the tree. My little corner of presents (in the bottom right of the picture) was wrapped in white paper with different wired ribbons tied in bows. They were sure different, but not too out of place in the group. Family aplenty gathered together along with an abundance of savory food and drink. Even though the youngest in our group is 18, all of our eyes grew as wide as that of a 5-year-old when we saw just how many presents there were.
New Year's Eve was just as merry if not more so. Our numbers balooned up to 19 for the big night as friends joined in the celebration. I was overjoyed at the prospect of using my new cut glass punchbowl and glasses, personally. Wine, beer, and numerous other spirits flowed freely while we all enjoyed New York strip steak with baked potatoes and salad. Once the snow started falling, everyone under 25 began acting like 8-year-olds again. Fireworks, champange, and cries (and texts) of "Happy 2011!" capped off the night.
I feel so lucky to have such a happy, rowdy, and somewhat vulgar family! The love that surrounds this house and family, especially during the holidays, is astonishing. We have no family grudges or rivalries, and none of those funny uncles or annoying cousins you have to try to avoid. Our grandparents don't pinch cheeks and tell you how much you've grown, but we do get the occasional story of how things used to be when they were young. Even if you're not part of the family, we'll make you one of our own before the blink of an eye.
I'll be driving back to school tomorrow to start winter term and hope that everyone who is traveling or has yet to travel will be safe and patient. The highway sure is going to test my patience tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment