Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A salute to girly underthings!

I can already see that this post is going to go from a little blurb to a full scale proclamation of love. I've been enthralled by lingerie since the tender age of 12 and my first viewing of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, a great movie that my mom still has on VHS. Anyhow, from the opening scene and "Twenty fans were Turning" to "Itty-Bitty Pissant Country Place" and finally "Hard Candy Christmas," all of the ladies are decked out in their best (80's) lingerie. Let's not discount the lovely Miss Mona (Dolly Parton) in all of her buxon blonde glory, too! Now, I'm not trying to scare anyone away by discussing bad lingerie, but giving a base to my thoughts. The 80's is a decade I try to pretend didn't happen, most of the time.
On to my actual topic: vintage lingerie! I started dabbling in underthings when I started seeking out slips and nightgowns last year. I have quite a little collection of those, now. Next came my corset. I wrote about my corset around Halloween, but not much after that. It's an authentic overbust, steel-boned corset (for tightlacing, not fashion) that resides in my room at home since I can't find a place for it here at school. Upon finding my peach pegnoir set in November, I was really ready to admit that I was loving the girly things and underthings of my favorite eras. In December, I bought a bunch of 50's stockings from a lovely woman on craigslist. I was super nervous that they would be in horrible condition, but they were beautiful! Since then, I've had them sitting in my drawer just waiting to be worn. What's a girl to do without a suspender belt? I'll tell you: She waits and thinks and waits and waits a little longer. Soon, she goes stir crazy and takes a leap of faith and orders a couple of little underthings to keep up her stockings!
Yes, I hate internet shopping, but I took the plunge and ordered two different styles from the same site I found my corset, Orchard Corset. I was so pleased with their prompt delivery and quality workmanship from my first experience, I was happy to go back. They arrived just 3 days after I ordered and I couldn't have been more pleased, although I'd really like to be able to get the clasps all done up more quickly! Once it gets just a little warmer here, be on the lookout for my legs to finally be ladylike and covered and all that jazz!
From this...
To this!

No comments:

Post a Comment