Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Are there any ladies left?

Now I'm not modern-bashing, but does anyone else just wish that once in a while women would wear dresses or skirts that are knee length? Or, I'll go one step further: How about calf-length? No, not many women I see in my day not wearing some version of pants has a hemline nearer their hips than knees. Today, shirts are actually being made long so they can perhaps be worn as dresses if one is daring enough.

If you feel the need to show something off, why not try a small waist, or delicate ankles? Not many people can go wrong with either of those. Or perhaps some should exercise the ever-lacking quality in our culture, modesty. Modesty is beautiful. Even if someone is going to wear jeans, a shirt, and shoes, there's a large difference between a tailored sweater, solid-wash jeans, and plain-colored shoes and a strapless top, 'fashion-shredded' jeans, and the slippers you put on when you rolled out of bed this morning. Besides, do you really want anyone in a professional setting seeing you the same way your roommates do? I should think not.



Why a sudden realization and need to state this? Its something that someone needs to point out. Not only do I feel like a lady, but when I wear a long skirt, I get comments about how put-together I look. Once an older gentleman said, "Excuse me Miss, but you look exquisite today." Yes, if you're wondering, that did make my day!


Also, long skirts are DIFFERENT, even for me! Most all of my skirts hover around knee-length, so wearing something to my calf feels like a treat. The whole point of having choices in fashion is to be free, be different, express yourself, and have fun. In this way, I can see one reason women are choosing overly short skirts today and that is fun. If your shirt-turned-dress excites you so much you can't even imagine your day without it, wear it! Having said that, how do you feel about leggings? Patterned tights? Knee-high socks? It's definitely cold in the mornings, and soon it will be well into the afternoon.






Oh well. The message nowadays is to each his own and I should be respecting that, but I do have opinions that my outspoken nature can't help but voice. But really, everything comes back around and as much as I hate "trends" can't there just be a sudden revival of the long, clean skirt?

No comments:

Post a Comment