Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The switch has been made!

I have come to the dark side, or in recent years, the more useful side of the blogging world. I have been on Xanga for the past 5 or 6 years under a few different names, but I feel the winds of change have brought me here for a purpose, so a purpose I will serve. That sounds like part of the movie Chocolat, doesn't it? Anyhow, I will stop rambling at some point here, although I won't promise that I'll come to a complete halt.

I'll try to put myself in a nutshell for now:
Of my loves, the ones that have taken over my life in the more recent years are my fiancé, and vintage! Any thing old and musky to a common bystander is almost always deemed a real treasure by me.

Among other things, I am a student of  a certain University in Oregon, a lover of dance, and a frequenter of thrift stores in the two little towns I call home. I am living in the dorms (I'm a second year) with one of the close-ish friends I have, but any friends are close-ish to me. This is the sad thing about being anti-social.

I get along oh so much better with older people it's ridiculous! I've just found that older people are more agreeable and genuinely interested in what you're saying, as opposed to my late-teens and early-twenties peers.

Speaking of older people, I'm sure I'll get into this in the coming weeks and months, but I am the absolute baby of my family. I'll be 20 in January and my fiancé will be 34. Call it what you will, but I call it love. We've been engaged for just shy of a year now and this will be our second school year apart. It's tragic, yes, but it is the only life I have.

Onward to the quite obvious vintage subject of this blog. I can't help but genuinely say I was raised in a way that absolutely threw me into vintage from a young age. Most of my favorite movies are not "new" by any standards, especially when you consider the fact that I've had such a hard time finding any on DVD. I might as well have grown up in a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, because that's all I watched! No, I branched out to other musicals, but stuck with Debbie Reynolds, Ricardo Montoblan, Jane Powell, and Donald O'Connor in my youth.

Now, I try not to push my odd way of thinking of life on others, but when you walk around humming Dean Martin in your nightgown with curlers in your hair while readying your percolator for the morning, you just rub off on those in close vicinity to you. My family, fiancé, and roommate have learned to live with it, but I do still get those out of the blue "You're just so cute!" comments from those close to me.

In all honesty, if no one finds me and my blog interesting in the least, I won't be supremely surprised. Not many who are around me on campus or in the dorm or dining hall really appreciate me, and I do get many odd stares. Since when were pencil skirts, Mary Janes, and victory rolls taboo? If there's anyone quite like me in a 60-mile radius, I'd be very surprised. Although if wonderful people like me exist, please find me! Every girl needs some partners in crime, even if it's the petty crime of not agreeing with prescribed, present day standards and longing for a time long past.

No comments:

Post a Comment