Thursday, October 14, 2010

A very Marge and Gower Thursday!

Yesterday, my last image was of a book by Bob Thomas entitiled Let's Dance with Marge an Gower Champion. (Below) 

I have this book in my possession, and it's just as charming as it sounds. They teach the Foxtrot, Waltz, Samba, Rumba, Mambo, along with instruction on various swing steps, and their own "Champion Strut"! There is a history of dances in America (up to 1948), along with etiquette for the boys and girls, and their own story in the later sections. 

I won't lecture or give a history lesson on them, but I think they should be, if they are not, the most esteemed husband-and-wife dancing and choreographing team in America. 
 Though they divorced after 26 years of marriage, I believe they held a kind esteem towards each other in later life. 
 Gower died in 1977 from a rare type of blood disease but Marge is still alive and still dancing and teaching to this day. 
 September 2nd was her 91st birthday and she is still as lively and charming as ever. 
 I hope the legacy made by the Champions' is passed down to future generations and those who can appreciate all they did for dance in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment